sadistic adj : deriving pleasure or sexual gratification from inflicting pain on another [ant: masochistic]
- Of someone who delights in the pain of others.
Sadistic personality disorder is a personality disorder which only appeared in the revised third edition of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-III-R). The current DSM-IV-TR does not include the category.
DSM III-R criteria
Sadistic personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of cruel, demeaning, and aggressive behavior, beginning by early adulthood, as indicated by the repeated occurrence of at least four of the following:
- Has used physical cruelty or violence for the purpose of establishing dominance in a relationship (not merely to achieve some noninterpersonal goal, such as striking someone in order to rob him/her).
- Humiliates or demeans people in the presence of others.
- Has treated or disciplined someone under his/her control unusually harshly.
- Is amused by, or takes pleasure in, the psychological or physical suffering of others (including animals).
- Has lied for the purpose of harming or inflicting pain on others (not merely to achieve some other goal).
- Gets other people to do what he/she wants by frightening them (through intimidation or even terror).
- Restricts the autonomy of people with whom he or she has a close relationship, e.g., will not let spouse leave the house unaccompanied or permit teenage daughter to attend social functions.
- Is fascinated by violence, weapons, injury, or torture.
The behavior has not been directed toward only one person (e.g., spouse, one child) and has not been solely for the purpose of sexual arousal (as in sexual sadism).
- Psychological Profile of Washington, D.C.-Area Sniper provides some excellent theoretical descriptions of the sadistic personality.
- PTypes - Sadistic Personality Disorder
sadistic in Danish: Sadisme
sadistic in German: Sadismus
sadistic in Spanish: Sadismo
sadistic in Esperanto: Sadismo
sadistic in Persian: ناهنجاری شخصیتی سادیستی
sadistic in French: Sadisme
sadistic in Croatian: Sadizam
sadistic in Italian: Sadismo
sadistic in Kurdish: Sadîzm
sadistic in Dutch: Sadisme
sadistic in Norwegian: Sadisme
sadistic in Portuguese: Sadismo
sadistic in Russian: Садизм
sadistic in Simple English: Sadism
sadistic in Slovak: Sadizmus (lekárstvo)
sadistic in Slovenian: Sadizem
sadistic in Swedish: Sexualsadism
sadistic in Ukrainian: Садизм
Draconian, Tartarean, animal, anthropophagous, atrocious, barbaric, barbarous, beastly, bestial, bloodthirsty, bloody, bloody-minded, brutal, brutalized, brute, brutish, cannibalistic, cruel, cruel-hearted, demoniac, demoniacal, devilish, diabolic, fell, feral, ferocious, fiendish, fiendlike, fierce, hellish, infernal, inhuman, inhumane, monstrous, murderous, perverse, ruthless, sanguinary, sanguineous, satanic, savage, sharkish, slavering, subhuman, truculent, unchristian, uncivilized, unhuman, vicious, wolfish